The Whistler area is well known for its skiing, snowboarding, world-class bike park and even its golf courses, but there is another thriving community of shredders in the area and you only have to travel 20 minutes north to find them. Located between Whistler and Pemberton, the Green River Motocross Park (GRMX) is the central meeting location for the area’s track rats.
A ribbon of dirt on the east side of Highway 99, the track winds itself around and through the trees with the showcase piece being a large open section for all the passing cars to see. Littered with berms, flat corners and small- to medium-sized jumps, it’s a place for all abilities of riders to enjoy, and a great track for those being introduced to the sport to learn and grow.
The mini track, prepping the next generation of riders. — Matthew Mallory Photography
The GRMX is a non-profit track that is held together and run by a collective of people willing to give up their time for the riding community, and it is supported by local shops and businesses. Evenings and weekends will see vehicles spread through the parking lot while riders visit, gear up and get their bikes ready in the shade of the surrounding trees.
Getting the young ones in the game, as any good marketer knows, is key to future business so on the north side of the parking lot is a fun little mini moto track. A full-on but smaller version of the big dawgs track, it is perfect for the li’l shredder to get his or her feet wet. When they are ready to step up, it’s a respectful group of users who let everyone have their own space. There’s room for everyone to have a good time, including the newbies.
Jorli Ricker lining up one of the jump-filled straightaways. — Matthew Mallory Photography
If you’re going to be in the Whistler area and have the time, or if you are looking to try a different track, then pack your bike up and head to the GRMX. With Whistler Village just down the road it’s sure to be a good time.
Hours of operation:
- Tuesday - total beginners and little kids only
- Wednesday 5-9 p.m.
- Friday 5-9 p.m.
- Saturday 10 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Sunday 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
The GRMX asks that you please check times before you drive, or call. Sometimes the track is closed due to weather, and sometimes it is open earlier and closed later or vice versa, depending on who is available to be at the track.
2016 Track Rates:
- Adult Season Pass - $350
- Youth Season Pass - $250 (50-cc to 150-cc - no adults on 125- or 150-cc bikes)
- Family Pass - $600 (This must be your family living at the same address, please).
- Corporate Pass - $700 (Includes three transferable passes to be used on any given day. Not more than three riders per day and must produce the actual pass. It is your responsibility to pick up from shop or sponsor and return.
- Tuesday night only pass $100 (Must be a little kid or total beginner. Little kids on little bikes can also use it on the 50 track any time the track is open.)
- Adult Day Pass - $30
- Youth Day Pass - $20