Kamloops Sticky Page
The city of Kamloops is a mecca for dirt bike enthusiasts, with hundreds of kilometres of rolling single-track trails and one of the top motocross tracks in Canada. Kamloops is also blessed with an early thaw in the spring and a late freeze in the fall, so dirt bikers can enjoy a riding season that starts in March and lasts well in November.
Local motocross track
Whispering Pines Raceway
Located just 30 minutes from the city of Kamloops, Whispering Pines Raceway is home to a national class motocross track that is maintained by the Greater Kamloops Motorcycle Association (GKMA). The park is also affiliated with the Canadian Motosport Racing Corporation (CMRC) and the British Columbia Motocross Association (BCMA).
- Features: Billed as the roughest track in the west, Whispering Pines is a sand-based supercross-style track with variable terrain.
- Hours of operation: Whispering Pines is open Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and on weekends from 12 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Track passes: GKMA memberships and day passes are available at RTR Performance, River City Cycle Ltd., Leading Edge Motorsports and GP Moto Performance Bike Shop in Kamloops. Memberships can also be purchased online.
Local dirt bike club
Greater Kamloops Motorcycle Association
The GKMA is a well-known and very respected organization that promotes racing events for motocross, cross-country, ice racing and off-road trail riding. Meetings are held once a month and the club usually has its annual general meeting in November.
Dirt bike trails in Kamloops
The GKMA manages over 400 kilometres of single-track trails around Kamloops, and it maintains 53 forestry campsites at the dirt-bike friendly Duffy Lake Recreation Site.
- Inks Lake is another popular place to ride with plenty of dry, rolling single-track trails.
- Rockstar Energy Drink Motocross Nationals - Since 2009, Whispering Pines Raceway has played host to one of the CMRC-sanctioned pro national rounds. Great for spectators, this event attracts world-class racers, such as Brett Metcalfe, Matt Goerke, Colton Facciotti, Mike Alessi, Vince Friese, Tyler Medaglia and Kaven Benoit. For tickets and more info, see the website.
- Big Kahuna - A harescramble/cross-country race at Whispering Pines that takes place early spring. With several different classes offered, this event is fun for the whole family.
- Chuwels Challenge - A cross-country race that usually takes place in the fall at Chuwels Mountain across from Stake Lake. Race classes range from masters to women's and juniors.